Dear Parent Supporters of The Autism Program of Illinois (TAP);
Now, more than ever, your child needs your support!
As you may have heard, Governor Bruce Rauner’s recent budget proposal eliminated funding for The Autism Program of Illinois (TAP). We understand our state faces a tough budget year. We’re willing to SHARE the sacrifice, but in this budget we ARE the sacrifice.
TAP relies on state funding to provide children like yours with screening and diagnostic services for possible autism spectrum disorders (ASD). The program also offers a variety of other resources and services, including social skills groups, ABA therapy, consultation and training. Studies have shown that early intervention can decrease the symptoms associated with ASD and the need for more expensive services later in life.
Overall, the TAP network is unlike any other program in the nation and is vital to improving the quality of life for thousands of families statewide. Without TAP, many children with ASD could go undiagnosed and others may not have access to the care they need.
We believe TAP funding can be restored before a final budget is approved, but it will take hard work from parents like you!
Here’s how you can help:
- Visit www.save-tap.org and share your story of how TAP has improved the quality of life for your family. You should also upload a picture of your child.
- While visiting the website, sign our petition to let our elected leaders know just how much TAP means to you and your family.
- Send an email to Illinois legislative leaders to insist TAP funding is restored.
- Send a letter to the editor of your local newspaper calling for restoration of TAP funding.
- Organize parents like you to support one another and hold events to draw attention to this issue.
- If you participate in Facebook, visit our new page, Save TAP, and encourage your Facebook friends to support our efforts.
You know how much TAP means to your family. Now it’s time that our elected leaders know it, too.
We must act now. Our children deserve our support!